While working towards my minimalist goals, it struck me that some who are reading this may be on the same journey. And some others may still be in need of some inspiration. So, it came to my mind that we could all do it together… kind of.
Which brings me to my announcement of the first Minimalist Monday. I’ve composed a few simple guidelines that may make it a bit easier on us and hopefully allows for us to reduce more stress than we create.
For today’s Minimalist Monday, we chose to declutter the bathroom & linen closet (which is actually just an extension of the bathroom for us, and is so small that it really should have just been INSIDE the bathroom). It was fairly simple and straightforward. There were only a few questions we needed to ask ourselves.
In the end, we found that we had plenty of duplicates. There were a few expired medicines and ointments, and some combs and mini brushes that we decided we generally don’t use because we prefer to use our two main brushes. All in all, it was pretty obvious to distinguish the things we needed and the things we did not. Our clutter removed was as follows.
- Expired ointments. These are no longer useful, and some of them were actually duplicates to top it off.
- Hair accessories. Between my fiance and my daughter, we owned more hair accessories than I feel I should have seen in my lifetime.
- Several combs and a mini brush. There are two brushes that we always use, and I have a pocket comb in my car for emergencies. The rest is unnecessary.
- 9 nail clippers. That’s right. We owned 9 extra nail clippers. We still own 3.
- Extra cologne and body sprays. We never use these, and I’m sure we know some people who would.
- Nose hair trimmer. Not sure if I will ever need to use one. But if I do, my hair trimmer has an attachment.
- 4 tweezers. In addition to all of our nail clippers, we had 4 spare tweezers. Not that they take up a lot of space, but it all adds up.
- Hair gel. I don’t know when I’ve used hair gel, I don’t know why I bought hair gel, but sure enough…we have some hair gel. Time to go.
- Towels. For some reason, we decided to buy a set of white towels. In theory, we could have bleached them to sparkly white regularly. Key words “in theory”. Needless to say, we recently purchased a set of dark gray towels and the old towels will be donated to an animal shelter.
- Light bulbs. Too many and far too old. 100 watt light bulbs that might use 120 watts to use kind of old. It’s been time to move on for far too long.
So, that’s our bounty from today’s Minimalist Monday. How about yours? If you haven’t gone through anything yet, there’s still plenty of time in the day. Remember to make it fun, and comment with your (insert Daffy voice) despicable finds!